Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Teaser Tuesdays (11)

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
- Grab your current read
- Open to a random page
- Share two "teaser" sentences from somewhere on that page
Be careful not to include spoilers!
- Share the title and author, too.

Book: Lady Oracle
Author: Margaret Atwood

"I planned my death carefully; unlike my life, which meandered along from one thing to another, despite my feeble attempts to control it. My life had a tendency to spread, to get flabby, to scroll and festoon like the frame of a baroque mirror, which came from following the line of least resistance."

These are actually the opening lines to the novel. I found it to be a very unique way to start, and it totally drew me in!

11 comments:

Whitney said...

I love Margaret Atwood, she has such a way with words. Fantastic teaser!

Rebecca Chapman said...

That sounds excellent! I love Margaret Atwood and this is one of the books of hers that I haven't read, but I really want to now!

My teaser this week is from Shirley Hazzard, who is up for the Lost Booker Prize this year.

Christina T said...

Great teaser! I have only tried reading The Handmaid's Tale (which I didn't like) but I really liked the way this book begins. I hope you are enjoying it.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Whitney - She does! I love her writing.

Becky - I'm really ejoyed the book so far. You should read it!

Christina - Really, you didn't like The Handmaid's Tale? You should try some of Atwood's other books, then!

Tasha said...

Nice teaser. Thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

Whoa awesome teaser Emidy! I'm very intrigued. I can't wait to see what you think of this one :D

Candace said...

That is an intriguing snippet! What a great way for her to start the novel!

Hannah Stoneham said...

Now that really is a teaser isn't it?! I love Margaret Attwood and think that she writes marvellously. My favourite of hers is The Handmaid's Tale...

thanks for sharing

Hannah

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Trillian - Thank you!

Sara - Great, I can't wait to finish the book!

Candace - Yes, I love this as a starting to the book.

Hannah - I love her too! The Handmaid's Tale was fantastic.

Justine said...

Whoa, what an intro. I love this! Margaret Atwood is one of the fave authors of my English teacher. She really really likes her, haha.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Oh wow. Awesome teaser.