Friday, December 30, 2011

That one special book

Recently I've been giving some thought into books from the past that I really, really enjoyed. One that inevitably keeps coming up is Florence & Giles by John Harding. I read and reviewed this book last year (can you tell that I adored it?) and yesterday I literally went to the book store and purchased a copy for myself. I was considering buying the eBook version, but I needed to own a physical copy! Ever get that feeling?

Anyways, I'm going to be re-reading Florence & Giles in the near future. Having read the book once already, I'm extremely excited to give it a second shot and see if my adoration has stood the test of time. It's one of those books that leaves this weird feeling inside you - a feeling that has clearly lasted.

Do you have that one special book that you keep re-reading? A nostalgic book from your childhood, or maybe something more recent? I'd love to discover what book holds a special place for you, and why it has affected you that way. Don't hesitate to leave a comment!

7 comments:

aloi said...

it's nice to hear from you! :) i hope you're having a good holidays!

the cover looks rather creepy to me. i'll check out your review and see if i'll read it! i keep re-reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Strange Pilgrims - and yes, I felt exactly like you - i need my own copy!

Here's the link to GGM's Strange Pilgrims:
http://guiltlessreading.blogspot.com/2007/04/strange-pilgrims-by-gabriel-garcia.html

Jenny said...

I recently started re-reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I took a break and am reading other books, but I'm a little bit afraid I won't like it the same and then I'll be so disappointed!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Aloi: Thanks, same to you! And I agree, the cover is really weird! I'll definitely check out that review. Sounds like an awesome book!

Jenny: I can understand that! I kinda feel the same way about Florence & Giles. I hope I feel the same about it!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

I hadn't heard of this before, thanks for the heads up. And I get that feeling where I just have to own a book too :)

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Carrie: No problem, hope you get the chance to read it sometime!

Candace said...

I recognize the title, but not the cover... I'll have to look it up. I have lots of books that I just HAVE to have my own copy of.
The Mists of Avalon is my pride and joy. I LOVED that book. BUT I haven't reread it yet. I keep saying I'm going to but what if I don't love it the same? I've reread a few books and it seems like I see tons of things that I don't like the second time around. We'll see if I ever do reread it...

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Candace: that's exactly how I feel! I love the book so much the first time that I don't want to destroy that love the second time. Hopefully that's not the case!