Monday, April 26, 2010

Daughters of Fortune by Tara Hyland

Published: 2010
Pages: 567
Genre: Chick lit
William Melville's daughters are heiresses to the world's most exclusive fashion dynasty. Beautiful and rich, they are envied by all. But behind the glittering facade of their lives, each girl hides a dark secret that threatens to tear their family apart. As each of them seeks to carve out her own destiny, they face difficult choices which will take them in wildly different directions.

The moment I got this book in the mail from a contest at Bookalicious Ramblings I couldn't contain my excitement to get started. I was totally in the mood for a fun and light read, which is exactly what this book delivered.

Despite being a rather lengthy novel, Daughters of Fortune didn't seem like a burden. I didn't have to read just for the sake of making my way through the book. Every page was engaging, and there was constantly something important going on which held my attention. This is an all around entertaining, uplifting and fun book to read.

Something that I think contributes to the sheer entertainment factor is how the book switches from person to person to person - we read about Elizabeth, Caitlin, Amber, William, Isabelle, Katie, Piers, Lucien, Cole, and many other people. This format lends itself well to this particular book because we slowly gain bits of information about each of their lives, and we can piece it together. Daughters of Fortune is packed with scandal, secrets, and drama. Pure deliciousness.

I didn't find Hyland's writing to be outstanding, but it fit with the book. Even the most critical reviewer would most likely dismiss her relatively average style of writing and focus on the elaborate and unique plot that is being showcased. It's hard not to be concerned about the characters. It's hard not to follow the story line with enthusiasm. And most of all, it's hard to put the book down! I repeatedly found myself losing sleep and opening the book long after I forced myself to turn off the light. You have been warned.

Recommendation: I highly recommend this to readers of the chick lit genre, or to someone who is looking to enjoy a light but engrossing novel. You won't want to miss this one!

10 comments:

Ana S. said...

I like beautiful prose as much as the next reader, but sometimes if the writing gets the story told effectively, that's enough to make me happy :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review. I'm undecided on this one.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Nymeth - Exactly! That's how I feel about this one.

Juju - Thank you! I think you should read it, it's pretty cute.

WonderBunny said...

Hmm... sounds like it might need to be added to the reading list. Great review!

Darlyn said...

Pretty interesting..Seems that I wont miss this one too. =)

Tara Hyland said...

Thank you for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed my book. xx

Shelley said...

This site is an interesting combination of a bit of an international flavor, but also feeling home-based (in Canada?)--unique. I don't know how I feel about reading that book, though.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Wonderbunny - Thanks! Yes, you should add it to your list for sure.

Darlyn - Great!

Tara - Wow, hi! Thanks for dropping by. I really enjoyed it!

Shelley - Hi, thanks for visiting!

Athira said...

I love this book cover, and your review adds more intrigue to this book. I gotto read this.

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Aths - I love the cover too! It's really beautiful in real life. Glad you want to read it!