Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

Published: 2008
Pages: 281
Genre: YA Fiction
When Evie's stepfather returns from the war, her life quickly returns to its normal pace. But when Peter Coleridge, an ex-GI shows up, Evie falls in love and is suddenly mixed up in a web of lies that she only slowly discovers. Evie ignores everyone's warnings and is oblivious to the secrets that surround Peter, until a tragedy occurs that changes everything. Now, she must choose between loyalty for her parents and her feelings for Peter.
I learned about this book by reading a review on another blog (which I sadly forget the name of!) and was instantly intrigued. I then logged on to my library's website and reserved the book straight away. What I Saw and How I Lied turned out to be a quick but compelling read that I enjoyed very much.

Evie, a fifteen year old girl, is the main character and also the narrator. I loved the innocence and naivety that she portrayed, and commend Judy Blundell for accurately depicting the mind of a teen girl. Every sentence she said was authentic, and every thought in her mind seemed all too real. The rest of the characters were sufficiently developed, but I sadly didn't have the time to truly connect with any of them. The book seemed a tad on the short side, and at times I felt that the romance between Evie and Peter moved too fast. Other than those minor points, I have no complaints in that department.

I really enjoyed the plot line. Like I said, it did move a bit too rapidly but still managed to convey emotion, mystery, doubt, and frustration. I won't mention any spoilers, but it's great how the conclusion isn't quite a conclusion - on the surface it seems as if all the issues have been resolved, but they haven't been; not quite. This also leads you to form your own opinion, which is something that I appreciate and cherish in books.

While I would have preferred What I Saw and How I Lied to be at least twice its length, the book is still solid and provides a tightly-wound plot. I stayed up late last night to read. I simply didn't want to put it down! And even when I did, I couldn't seem to stop contemplating the book and going over what I just read in my mind.

Recommendation: Truthfully, I think everyone should read this. It has a bit of everything - romance, mystery, thrills, and it gets you thinking. Follow my lead and go reserve this from your local library!

10 comments:

Juju at Tales of Whimsy.com said...

Of all the reviews I've read of this book, I do believe it is your review that has convinced me to read it. Thank you!

Library Cat said...

This is the second review in as many days that I have read and both were positive, so I think I have to find it and read it! Thanks for the review.

Nymeth said...

Aw, it's too bad it wasn't longer - but it sounds well worth reading all the same.

Emidy said...

Juju - Aw, I'm happy to hear that! Hope you decide to read it.

Library Cat - Yes, you should read it for sure.

Nymeth - Exactly! I still enjoyed it a lot.

Amy said...

This book looks intriguing! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I have seen "What I Saw and How I Lied" on many Scholastic book orders that I hand out to my students and it grabs my attention every time ....maybe now I will get it. Great review.

Alee said...

I'm new to your blog (found you on book blogs). This sounds like a great read! Thanks for sharing!

Aths said...

I've also seen this book a lot in the blogosphere. So I'm glad you like it. I'll look this up too!

Jeannie @ Pine Cottage Books said...

This sounds interesting! And since you are recommending it I'll look for it at our library!

I became a follower so I can keep track of all the good books on your blog :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I own this book. Now I want to move it to the top of my TBR pile.